Uterine Fibroids Beverly Hills
Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous lumps or growths that form in the uterus.
- 18-45 year old – most common
- African-American more common than Caucasian
- Estrogen dependent tumor
- Genetic predisposition
- Heavy vaginal bleeding
- Painful periods
- Pelvic pain
- Pain during intercourse
- Pelvic pressure
- Abdominal cramping
- Abdominal distension
- Anemia (low blood count)
Uterine fibroids can be located in 3 different locations:
2. Intramural – fibroids grow within the wall of the uterus.
Uterine Fibroid Treatment Options
Medication can treat mild symptoms of uterine fibroids. When symptoms become moderate or severe, surgical intervention could be the best option to treat them.
Surgical procedures include:
- Myomectomy – removing the individual fibroid tumor while preserving the uterus.
- Hysterectomy (uterus removal)- is the most common treatment in the USA today. It is typically NOT necessary to remove the uterus to treat symptoms of fibroids.
- Uterine Artery Embolization (Radiologic treatment to cut blood supply off to the fibroids)
- ExAblate (MRI focused Ultrasound, Ablation of Uterine Fibroids)